Biography - Mark McCumber
President, Mark McCumber & Associates
Mark McCumber is President of MarkMcCumber & Associates, the golf course design division of McCumber Golf. Mr. McCumber, who joined the PGA TOUR in 1978, is recognized as one of the finest players of the game and is among the elite of the PGA TOUR. He has surpassed the $6 million mark in total career earnings.
Mr. McCumber is a former golf analyst for Fox Sports, a past member of the PGA TOUR Advisory Board and currently plays on the Champions Tour.
His ten PGA TOUR victories include the 1979 and 1985 Doral-Eastern Opens, 1983 and 1989 Western Opens, 1983 Pensacola Open, the 1987 and 1994 Anheuser-Busch Classics, the 1988 The Players Championship, the 1994 Hardees Classic and the 1994 TOUR Championship.
On the international circuit, McCumber won the 1988 World Cup in Australia, representing the United States with Ben Crenshaw. He has also represented the USA in various team match play competitions in Europe, was a member of the distinguished 1989 Ryder Cup Team and was the United States Section Winner of the 1995 Andersen Consulting World Match Play.
As President of Mark McCumber & Associates, Mr. McCumber identifies new prospects for golf course design projects and oversees the development of all project phases to guarantee design and final construction integrity. In addition, he serves as a public relations ambassador for McCumber-designed facilities and promotes such projects with on-site promotional appearances.
Since the inception of Mark McCumber & Associates, he has been responsible for more than forty golf course projects throughout the United States and Japan. He has served as an architectural consultant for Golf Illustrated magazine and is on the Board of Governors for the prestigious American Society of Golf Course Architects.
- Born: September 7, 1951 in Jacksonville, FL
- Family: Wife, Paddy; Daughters, Addison and Megan; Son, Mark Tyler
- Joined PGA TOUR: 1978
- Joined Champions Tour in 2001
- Over $6 Million in Career Earning
- Member of the American Society of Golf Course Architects; elected to the Board of Governors in 2003
- Winner, 1979 Doral-Eastern Open
- Winner, 1983 Western Open
- Winner, 1983 Pensacola Open
- Winner, 1985 Doral-Eastern Open
- Winner, 1987 Anheuser-Busch Classic
- Winner, 1988 The Players Championship
- Winning World Cup Team 1988 (with Ben Crenshaw)
- Winner, 1989 Beatrice Western Open
- Winner, 1989 Ford Classic; Paris, France
- Member of 1989 Ryder Cup Team
- Member of 1989 World Cup Team (with Paul Azinger)
- Winner, 1994 Anheuser-Busch Classic
- Winner, 1994 Hardees Classic
- Winner, 1994 TOUR Championship
- Winner, 1995 Andersen Consulting World Match Play (United States Section)